Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Body Shop Packaging



The body shop has asked us to re-design a contemporary package for a range of products. I have choose to re-design the tea tree oil, facial wash, the white musk body lotion, the aloe Vera body butter and the oil free balancing liquid foundation. The design must unite the 5 core values that the body shop believe in.

First of all I decided to look at the materials used. The body shop use plastic bottles that can be recycled but they can not be refilled due to a law that was passed. My way around this was to think of a material that could hold liquids and creams and be 100% biodegradable. After rigorous research I came across a material/product called 360 Paper. 360 Paper water bottles are designed by Brand image. It is a responsible design that equates innovation with responsibility to people and planet while being mindful of the environmental impacts it could have. This package utilises sustainable sheet stock of bamboo and palm leaves. 2 halves are pressed together and a micro PLA film provides a liquid barrier so that it can hold liquids and creams. I want to use this concept for the structure and material for my packaging as it is 100% biodegradable. I will not be using the shape that Brand image used. As this product idea helps people, plant and planet it falls into my concept for the outer design. My package will also have this micro PLA film on the outside so that it can be used in wet areas and remain in its original state.

The concept behind my designs evolves around the 3 P’s, planet, people, plant. The body shops strengths are that they are well liked for its ethical standards and natural ingredients but other competitors are offering a more natural cosmetic
Approach and the same “green message” so that is another reason why I choose the 360 Paper concept. I will put emphasis on the ethical beauty and humanitarian issues by using the 3 P’s. My initial thought was planet, people, product but it didn’t fir into the 5 core values of the body shop. I wanted to get the 5 core values across by using the 3 P’s, (the 3 P’s is something we have all heard before, weather it be in school or the work place.) I decided to use planet, people and plant. The 5 values fit into the 3 P’s as:
1. Against animal testing comes under planet
2. Supporting community trade comes under people and plant.
3. Activating self esteem comes under planet.
4. Defending human rights comes under people and
5. Protect our planet comes under planet.

This package design will make the customer feel good on the outside by the use of the product and good on the inside as it shows how much the body shop helps the planet, the people and plants.

I wanted to create an identity for the 3 P’s. I designed an identity logo that represents the 3 P’s and also 3 p’s that represent them. I want these signs and symbols to be on each package so that the body shop packages are united and get the body shop message across. I have came up with a colour range to distinguse each of the products so that they are easy to recognise. The colours I have chosen are bright, cheery and slightly different to the body shop ranges at the minute, I believe these colours will appeal to the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment