Tuesday 15 February 2011

Project One Spirit of Place



This project was to investigate a spirit of place and complete a photographic audit of that place and then document what we found I a well-designed format. I began this project choosing a place that meant something to me. This made finding my target audience easier. I started of taking photographs Botanic Gardens, as this is a place I remember fondly from my childhood. I realised after taking loads of photographs that they were no good for my project. After being unsatisfied with my photography I re-evaluated my target audience. As I had intended on designing a children’s fun activity pack I knew I had to do a lot more research. At this stage I was already 2.5 weeks into the project. I got back on track and photographed things from the park in a way that children would be interested and intrigued by. This was shown in my activity booklet. This gives me more confidence to execute my work. I also realised at this stage that I needed to investigate children’s books/magazines etc.

As I had little time left I had to start designing my booklet. I thought about size, paper and packaging. I wanted the booklet to be small enough to fit in a child’s hand, big enough to write in and small enough to hang round their necks. The idea for the package came from the use of a map case. This could hang round there necks, keep the booklet dry and hold a pen and the items they were asked to collect through out the activity book.

After reflecting on this my choice of paper could have been better and my time management. I had more time and produced a mock up of my final piece earlier; it could have been a lot better. I enjoyed the project, as it was a nice icebreaker into the start of the New Year. This project needed a bit more work but I believe the initial idea had a commercial quality to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment